Died: July 2nd, 1836
Buried: Middle section of Collins Cemetery, Center Township, Delaware County
Inscription: Joshua Howell died July 2, 1836 in the 91 year of his age. God is love.
Veteran’s marker: Joshua Howell, Sr., Continental Line, Revolutionary War, 1745 – 1836
Service: Public Service Claim. Certificates, Botetourt County, Virginia. VSL.
Item 58, Allowance to Joshua Howell for supplying beef, signed 10, November 1781. VA State Library.
Married: Mary, b. 1748, d. 9/11/1835 age 87 Buried Collins Cemetery, see gravestones.
- David - b. 1767, Bortetourt Co, VA; d. after 1857 in VA;
m Susannah Hylton on 06 Oct 1789, Franklin Co, VA. (lived with son in Russell Co, VA at time of death)
- Abigail - b. 1770, Botetourt Co, VA; d. 1840 Floyd Co, VA;
m David Porter on 29 Dec 1788, Franklin Co, VA (lived for a while in OH and IN)
- Nancy - b. 7 Nov 1777, Botetourt Co, VA; d. 22 Apr 1852 in Floyd Co, VA, (buried in Old Topeco Cemetery);
m1 John Bryant Hylton on 4 Oct 1798, Montgomery Co, VA; m2 William Hancock, 1825 in Montgomey Co, VA
- Joshua (Jr) - b. 14 Nov 1779, Botetourt Co, VA; d. 17 Dec 1869 in Cass Co, MI, (buried in Baren Lake Cemetery);
m Christina Mikesell on 3 Nov 1800, Montgomery Co, VA
- Thomas - b 1780 Botetourt Co, VA, d. 1837, IN;
m Sally Stapleton on 6 Nov 1802, Montgomery Co, VA (reported buried in Old LaFontaine Cemetery in Wabash Co, IN - grave unmarked and no record. Sally last reported in Darke Co, OH in 1830 Census)
- Daniel - b July 1781 Botetourt Co, VA, d. 9 Apr 1869, Champaign Co, OH, (buried in Upper Honey Creek Cemetery);
m Phebe Ross 1803 in VA
- John - b. 10 Dec 1783, Botetourt Co, VA, d. 10 Jan 1859, Wabash Co, IN (buried in Mississinewa Memorial Cemetery);
m Elizabeth Parkison on 19 Sep 1805 Montgomery Co, VA
- James - b. 1787, Botetourt Co, VA, d. 1 Aug 1844, Blackford Co, IN, (buried in Collins Cemetery, Muncie, Delaware Co, IN);
m Abigail Sumter 1806 in VA.
- Jeremiah - b. 1793, Montgomery Co, VA, d. 11 Oct 1865, Wabash Co, IN (buried in Treaty Cemetery;
m1 Phebe Priest on 10 May 1816, Champaign Co, OH; m2 Huldah Ross in 1863. (Phebe buried in Dodge Co, MN no cemetery recorded)
Revolutionary War Patriots in Delaware County, Indiana
was a joint project of the:
Buckongehlas Society of Children of the American Revolution,
Paul Revere Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution
Continental Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution
To report new information, corrections, or web errors, click here
Indiana Patriot Graves -
Indiana State SAR